Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Normal to you, exciting to me

You may know this, but I don't cook. I don't make food. I didn't know how to cook pasta or a potato till I was in college and living in my first apartment. Don't blame my parents- both of them cook, like to cook, and have successfully passed on cookie joy to my two sisters. Until I was several years into my relationship with Adam I really didn't have the pallet to appreciate food and therefor was satisfied with cans of soup, frozen pizza, and dry top ramen. Now Adam has me OoOoo-ing and Aahhaah-ing over fancy foods and I can never go back.

I still don't *want* to make food- my time is much too precious for the tedious task of preparing meals every day. But I'm willing to experiment a bit more now, mostly with the baking and desserts. Maybe I'll get bit by the baking bug and become a bread head? I know several in Mountain View who already suffer such fates already.

Followed directions from How To Cook Everything the weekend of the Superbowl to make oatmeal cookies. So underwhelmed.

Supplies


On the up side I got to practice playing with the camera. I like the wide-angle len's closeups but I want... a smaller F stop? Is them the words? A smaller field of focus! This lens only went to 4 I think, and the lowest any we've got is 3 I think. Also need to get a tripod- balancing on tables and chairs can only get you so many shots. And while I'm at it, I want one of those remote clicker things- if I had that (or maybe just a good tripod) I could try my hand again at more stop motion. MMMmMmMMmm... stop motion....

But, yeah, cookies. Big let down. Pulling out everything ahead of time helped make it an easy, almost fun, process but they tasted CAKE-Y not COOKIE. Boo. A lame final product casts a gloomy light over the entire process...

Results
(cookies have a slight reddish tint because I put a couple drops of food coloring in the dough. Food coloring makes everything better...


: sounds kinda' bad/snobby, I know. Sorry. But it's true. I'm an engineer and Adam's an engineer. We both work all day and come home late. If he wants to cook for fun, that's fine, but most often we'd rather just throw money at the problem and eat out/take out/order in then spend a moment of our few free hours doing "chore" like stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment