Monday, May 30, 2011

Gardening && !Zen

First off-- Gardening. I mentioned that I had started trying to grow things.... well, originally I was doing it wrong. I was using a spray bottle and misting my pots... and nothing was growing... once I switch to actually, you know, pouring water on the plants some of them started to grow! Wow! My first round of Edamame and Cucumbers have been growing for a couple days now (despite planting them, like, 3 weeks ago)

In the mean time, I've been distracted / mutated my interest into terrariums... but I don't have any moss or small plants... so I've bastardized the thought by trying to grow my vegetable seeds in glass bottles*...

The basil has started poking out already (5 days in) and I can see the cucumber seed turning green just below the surface (yay glass walls?) Adam points out that this wont work in the end... I'm fine if the plants just don't die... I doubt they'll seed/produce (it'd be SO cool if they did!) but I don't think they'll fall over, wilt, and die just because they're in bottles... but maybe they will...

Current vegetable selection is : Cucumber, Edamame, Basil, Parsley, Pole Beans, and Snow Peas. So far the parsley is the only one that flat out failed to grow... Edamame is AWESOME** and the best grower and the cucumber will desperately need to be transplanted to a larger container soon...

Trying to make the most of this happy 3 day weekend. Golly I like my weekends... There's some good and some bad so far though (and it's not even over yet!)

The Bad : I'm trying to do another rev of my frankenturret project. Going to Maker Faire inspired me to try and "finish" stuff better... so I made another set of corners and head and made a mold out of them (requiring an $$ batch of new supplies... ) but it hasn't gone anywhere... realizing I wasted a good portion of a day making shitty molds and casting pieces I can't use really took the wind out of my sails.... Overall my real negative take-away from this is that I don't like trying polish/finish a piece. It just takes too much work! I tried to find the piece/zen in really focusing on something and... it just made me frustrated. Blah.

The Good : Throwing money at craft supplies makes me happy! I got some white pigment and not only does it make the resin super awesome white, it also thins the resin and extends the workable time and makes it *much* easier to cast! Yay! I also got new bits for the dremel a co-worker is lending me and it's super fun! Also, I spent a good portion of Saturday at Coffee Bar warming up my Python again and working on the Tichu game. I really like the idea I've got right now on how to handle game flow... still a long way off from completion...

There was a parade that went right in front of our house! (well, okay, the staging area did) and Adam has been super nice and making me/bringing me delicious foods. Even Duck, the cat, has been somewhat tolerable this weekend. We've been bonding over our love of the deck while I work with the plants and he watches birds.



...and now I'm off to a memorial day B.B.Q.! Maybe I'll swim in the ocean?!?


* side note 1 : OMG! I've started drinking vanilla flavored frappuccinos at work! They are insanely delicious!! How did I not know about this before? Also, the plastic label peels off super easily and the bottle left behind is rather cute... I'd drink several a day if Adam didn't point out how ridiculously unhealthy/sugared they are... sigh... limiting myself to one every other day now...

** side note 2 : no, really, Edamame is AWESOME! It just SHOOTS up out of the dirt! Pow! The packet said growing inside wasn't recommended but that's how I started it anyway. The poor thing definitely didn't have enough light, hence the sideways growing. I moved it out to the porch the other day and I think it's already starting to zig bad upwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment