Wednesday, April 4, 2012

End of Winter

A moment of silence, please. MidWinter, the tabletop game I've been playing since the end of October 2010, came to a close this last weekend. Good times, good times. Everything wrapped up neatly and my character became a princess, then lived unhappily ever after. Winning all around.

Fitting that we're heading into Spring now. Having a spot of sunshine here and there in the city now, but it's still a pinch too chilly for my taste. That just means its easier to hang around inside guilt free!

Cookies


Tried my hand at cookies a bit ago... made mint monstrosities. I blame the mortar and pestal I picked up for no good reason and then felt inclined to abuse. I ground up some rosemary and then probably twice the number of mint leaves I needed. Hey, I'm learning...

Greenz


While sitting around inside looking at the sunshine, but fearing the bite of cold the actual outdoors inflicts, I crocheted another monster. Came out way, way, way to similar to the previous guy I made, so I am sad about that. Again, fell back on old ways and he's 4 different shades of mossy-ness.

His only redeeming quality, other then the sweet Elvis curls, is the fact that he has quite a number of pennies in his guts. This means he is exceptionally pleasing to hold. Weight adds much to a monster, I feel. I also like the use of beads for "toes" and his eyes-- I have a bag of super cheap white plastic pearls, which I can now paint with nail polish for a great range of eyes. Always important!

Greenz


Should be noted that the fantastic green yarn of his back was picked up in Paris. Hurray for travel yarns being put to use!

Final notes:

  • SiblingsMy sisters both randomly passed through town at the same time this last weekend. Very fun. Can't say we got along great growing up, but absence (and brief visits) make the heart grow fonder. They are also both growing up to be far more awesome then originally anticipated. The sorority girl is kicking butt on her path towards her biochem-ish PhD. The punk has mellowed and matured enough to get into med school. And here I thought they'd just major in English ;)

  • Made more bread.
    • First set was sad. Finished off the second half of the squid ink packet. Stuff is crazy potent. Tried to make "blueberry" flavored bread. It didn't work/taste like anything. I read blog posts that warned me it would be so, but I had to try. The color wasn't even that striking... wound up tossing a lot of it.
      Squid Ink & Blueberry bread
    • Next set was better. Didn't put the boiling water on the lower rack this time and the crust came out rather ugly like. Also, photography of this set was a total failure. It was however the tastiest bread so far. Beets again, with the other half being bananas and (WAY TOO MUCH) rosemary. All the bread reeked of rosemary, but the taste was not harmed. The bananas in the bread were not noticeable, but I put chunks of banana in both types and it tasted super yummy. New goal now is to A) make smaller batches of bread and B) get more interesting fruit in there somehow... am thinking mangos next.
      Ugly bread
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment